Happy Labor Day! I hope that everyone is enjoying their holiday, and the last day of summer! Today was a fairly simple day in the cooking department, and we completely skipped over lunch, so we can have that pasta and pesto another night with possibly zucchini noodles, or with just regular pasta that we bought. Pesto keeps for about a week in the fridge.
Today’s menu consisted of:
was supposed to be leftover spinach pesto with pasta
chicken sausage and hot dogs (for the boy)
This is how it broke down:
Breakfast Burritos – $1.48 (for 2)
4 eggs – $0.32
2 tbsp milk – $0.05 (maybe?… I didn’t know how to really calculate this)
2 tortillas – $0.26
1/4 cup cooked breakfast sausage – $0.31
1/2 cup shredded cheese – $0.24
olive oil, salt and pepper – freebies
Pasta with Leftover Pesto – $0.25
Pasta (1/4 box) – $0.25
Pesto – free (leftover from last night
Chicken Sausage & Hot Dogs – $3.41
2 links chicken sausage – $2.87
1 hot dog – $0.17
3 buns – $0.37
condiments – freebies
Total – $5.14
Recipes From Today’s Menu
cooked breakfast sausage
pickled jalapeno peppers
This recipe doesn’t actually have the ingredients listed in increments because it is really up to you how many you want make, and how hungry you are.
- Scramble eggs and set aside.
- Cook breakfast sausage (or even chorizo) in a skillet. When ¾ done cooking, add jalapeno peppers – as many as you like
- Meanwhile, turn your oven on (350 is fine).
- Add cheese to tortilla shells, and place on the rack of your oven. You don’t necessiarly need your cheese to melt, but keep them in the oven for about two minutes, until the tortilla is warm and soft
- Remove tortillas from oven, and add eggs and sausage.
- Roll into a burrito, and enjoy with salsa or just on its own
Pasta with Spinach Pesto
1 lb pasta (of your choice – I like penne)
1 cup prepared spinach pesto
2 tbsp butter (optional)
- Cook pasta in a pot of salted water until al dente. Drain
- Place pasta in a large bowl, and mix in butter (if using) then top with pesto. Mix to make sure all of the pasta is coated with pesto.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Chicken Sausage and Hot Dogs
Grill and enjoy!
** Take a whole chicken out of the freezer tonight, and put it in your fridge!
|Lunch||Fried rice with eggs|
|Dinner||Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and broccoli|
|Lunch||Curry chicken legs|
|Dinner||Grilled marinated steak, spinach and polenta cakes with feta and spinach pesto|