The Food Bank raised over $20,000 and over 3,000 pounds of food during their 24 hour telethon, thanks to all of the amazing people who called in and came in to donate!
The 30 facts in 30 days continues today, day seven (at least of what I have posted… remember I missed a few days at the beginning of the month… oops!) with today’s fact.
97 cents of every dollar donated to the Food Bank goes directly to food and food related programs.
So, what are some ways that you can give to the Food Bank?
Monetary Donations – for every dollar donated to the Food Bank, the Food Bank can donate $10 worth of food or 5 meals.
Food Donations – The Food Bank welcomes non-perishable products, sealed beverages, refrigerated or frozen items, or produce as well as non-food essentials such as hygiene items, cleaning items or paper products.
The most needed items include:
- Canned Meals: Stews, Soups, Tuna, Ravioli, Lasagna, etc. (Pop-top cans a plus!)
- Peanut Butter, Canned Vegetables
- Grains: Cereal, Rice, Pasta and Dried Beans
- Fruits: Fruit cups, Dried Fruit, Applesauce, 100% Juice and Juice Boxes
- Rice, Pasta and Dried Beans
- Kid-Friendly Items: Granola Bars, Popcorn, Graham or Animal Crackers, Fat-free/Sugar-free Pudding Cups
- Baby Products: Diapers, Wipes, Formula, Infant Cereal
- Hygiene Items: Toothpaste, Feminine Products, Shaving Items, Hand Sanitizer, Soap, etc.
- Paper Products: Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, etc.
- (Please – No loose glass and plastic jars of baby food as they will have to be discarded due to health regulations
30 Facts in 30 Days Revisited
The Food Bank provided nearly 840,000 lbs of disaster relief product after hurricane Irene last year!
The Food Bank serves 34 counties in central & eastern North Carolina through six warehouses!
The Wilmington branch is celebrating their 10th anniversary this fiscal year!
Currently, 900 partner agencies receive food from the Food Bank
In the 2011-2012 fiscal year, the Food Bank distributed 11.7 million pounds of fresh produce.
Four Food Bank branches, Durham, New Bern, Sandhills, Wilmington, had record distribution in 2011-2012.
Do your part, and donate today. Together we can light up hunger, and all be hunger heros.