Vegetarian 16-Bean Soup Recipe
Adapted from: 365 Slow Cooker Suppers by Stephanie O’Dea
Vegetarian 16-Bean Soup Recipe adapted from 365 Slow Cooker Suppers by Stephanie O’Dea
1 – 16 oz pkg 16 bean soup mix, soaked over night
1 – 14.5 oz can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
8 cups vegetable broth
- Use a 6-quart slow cooker
- Open the bean package and discard the included flavor packet
- Soak the beans overnight in water to cover, and then discard the water.
- Place the drained beans into the insert
- Add the entire can of tomatoes, the onion, garlic and spices.
- Stir in vegetable broth
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until the beans have reached desired thickness.
- If you’d like you can smash the beans with a potato masher to make the broth thicker
“This smoke, delicious bean soup is light in calories and quite filling. I like to eat it for lunch – this soup freezes and reheats well (you may need to thin it with a bit of water because the beans swell).”
First of all, this soup was extremely easy to put together. I like to prep my veggies early in the week, so all I have to do is grab and go for dinner; so all I had to do for this soup was open up a can of tomatoes, and toss in the veggies and spices. For the beans, I used a 10-Bean soup mix because I didn’t have a 16 bean mix on hand. The differences are subtle, mostly just the addition of more white beans, and different sized beans. As the soup cooked, the whole house smelt absolutely amazing. I couldn’t wait to eat. I topped my soup with just a little grated parmesan cheese, and when I took that first bite, I felt like I was stepping into autumn. This soup was so warm, and comforting and bursting with flavor. The beans still had a little bite to them, which I really enjoy. I cannot wait to have this soup for lunch for the next couple days. Again, Stephanie created an amazing recipe that I will definitely be adding to my repertoire.