cod or haddock fillets (about 2 per person is a good serving)
2 tbsp corn starch
1 bottle dark ale
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking soda
- Preheat oil in a dutch oven to 375 degrees
- Make your beer batter, and set aside to let the bubbles settle while you’re preparing your fish
- To make batter, combine flour, baking soda, salt and pepper and beer. Whisk together. until there are no big lumps. Little lumps are okay.
- To prepare fish, coat with cornstarch on each side. This will help the batter stick.
- Dunk fish into batter, and drop into hot oil. Fry on each side for 2-4 minutes, depending on how thick your fish is. Only fry 2-3 pieces at a time, if you fry more, the batter will get soggy.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels.
- Serve on newspaper with homemade frenchfries to allow the excess oil to drain