As the new year approaches, I have been reflecting on 2015 and it’s ups and downs. For the most part, 2015 was a great year. D.J. and I got married, Anthony is doing well and already starting to read and my blog has taken off! I started sharing monthly menu plans in January of last year and made it part of my resolutions/goals for 2015 to share a meal plan and grocery list each month. As the year passed, and I got into the groove of things, the meal plans got better and I even started adding printable recipes to recipes AND monthly meal plans.
As 2016 sneaks it’s way here in two weeks, it’s time to start making our resolutions. For many of us, including myself, saving money is at the top of my list which is why I have planned on sticking to sharing a Budget Monthly Meal Plan again every month of 2016.
Each months menu will include a FREE printable collection of the months recipes, a menu plan and two FREE printable grocery lists – one for the entire month so that you can buy groceries in bulk and weekly grocery lists for fresh groceries like produce. The printable grocery lists are divided up into categories are each menu and grocery list is planned around feeding a family of four with leftovers for a leftover night each week and making a double recipe of things like Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce and freezing it for meals throughout the month. 2016’s Budget Meal Plans will also have some helpful hints on each weeks grocery list on what to prepare in advance or how to freeze leftovers for other meals throughout the month.
New recipes are going to be posted throughout the month, and ALWAYS before the date that is on the meal plan. Sign up to receive e-mails at the top of the screen and get all new recipes, meal plans and how-to’s delivered right to your inbox. For the FREE printable version of this meal plan, the grocery lists and the recipes, scroll down the the bottom and click the links. For recipes with step-by-step directions with pictures, click the recipe name below.
January 2016 Budget Meal Plan
31 Days of Kid-Friendly Dinners for $219.64
January’s menu 31 days of dinners with 4 new recipes. Like I did in 2015, I shopped around at a couple different stores to get the best prices on my groceries so that I could stay under my $250 a month goal. Last year I had a $200 budget, but this year since almost everything has increased in price – at least here in Colorado. For January I bought most of my groceries at Walmart.
Week One – January 1 – 8
- Add spinach, carrots, ditini and parsley to this list! I forgot to add them to the week one list from the monthly list!
Pasta Fagoli (Pasta Fazool) with Black Eyed Peas – NEW!
Crockpot Beef and Broccoli with Rice – NEW!
- Make extra rice for Egg Fried Rice on Tuesday, January 4
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Make Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce and a double batch of Meatballs
- Use spaghetti sauce for dinner tonight and freeze leftover sauce in 3 separate containers for Spinach 3-Cheese Stuffed Shells, Eggplant parmesan and Meatball Subs
- Use half of Meatballs for dinner tonight and freeze the cooked Spaghetti Sauce for Meatball Subs on Saturday, January 9
January 4 – Meatless Monday!
Egg Fried Rice
- Use leftover rice from Saturday
January 5 – Taco Tuesday
Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
Giambotta (Italian Vegetable Stew) – NEW!
** This recipe didn’t post for some reason, please scroll down for the Giambatta recipe! An updated, printable version will be available this week. **
Mini Corndog Bites and Oven Baked French Fries
- Take out frozen Spaghetti Sauce for Stuffed Shells and Meatball Subs next week
Week Two – January 9 – 15
Meatball Subs and Salad
- Use frozen Meatballs and Spaghetti Sauce from last week
Spinach 3-Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Use frozen Spaghetti Sauce from last week
January 11 – Meatless Monday!
Butternut Squash Soup and Grilled Cheese
- Freeze other half of bread for ABC Soup and Grilled Cheese on January 25
- Save extra American cheese for Grilled Cheese on January 25t
January 12 – Taco Tuesday!
Turkey Tacos and Corn
Pasta with Bacon and Peas
Easy 30-Minute Asian Stir Fry and Rice
Week Three – January 16 – 22
Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork – NEW!
Herb and Garlic Roasted Chicken, Mixed Veggies and Roasted Potatoes
- Save chicken bones and make Homemade Chicken Stock and save money on buying boxed chicken stock later in the month
- Save leftover chicken for Chicken Enchilada Cups on January 19
January 18 – Meatless Monday!
Macaroni and Cheese and Peas
January 19 – Taco Tuesday!
Chicken Enchilada Cups and Corn
- Use leftover Chicken from Sunday
January 21 – Breakfast For Dinner!
Homemade Chicken Nuggets with Hidden Veggies and Oven Baked French Fries
Week 4 – January 23 – 31
Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs, Rice and Broccoli
- Try and grind extra chicken on January 22 when you make Chicken Nuggets to make dinner prep easier tonight
- Use frozen Spaghetti Sauce from January 3 and take leftover bread out of freezer for Grilled Cheese tomorrow
January 25 – Meatless Monday!
ABC Soup and Grilled Cheese
January 26 – Taco Tuesday!
Carnitas (Pork Tacos) and Corn – NEW!
Pierogies with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
DIY Pizza Night!
- Make your own pizza with your favorite toppings. Only the cheese, sauce and crust are included in the ingredients for this recipe.
- Make Homemade Ranch Dressing for tomorrow night if you can
Buffalo Chicken Strips and Celery with Homemade Ranch
Sausage and Peppers – NEW!
New Recipes To Print –
CrockPot Beef and Broccoli
Stove Top Pork Tacos (Carnitas)
CrockPot BBQ Pulled Pork
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1 zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 large tomatoes, cored and cut into small pieces or 1, 15oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chicken stock or water
2 tbsp olive oil
In a large pot combine all ingredients. Cover and cook, stirring frequently for about 30 minutes until all of the vegetables are tender. Serve right away.