On the Second Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me… BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms! Oh ya… they are as good as they sound and look!
Stuffed Mushrooms make the perfect appetizer. There are so many variations (like Italian Stuffed Mushrooms), and these BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms will steal the show at your holiday party! They taste just like a cheeseburger, and the french fried onions on top give them the perfect crunch!
I used baby portobello mushrooms (crimini) mushrooms to make these, but if all you have available is white mushrooms, use those – they will still be super delicious!
I originally made these babies for our Friendsgiving dinner, but they were such a hit, we’ve even had them for dinner a couple nights. If you’re following my December Meal Plan, this recipe is included for New Years Day.
With the leftover filling we had with our mushrooms, D.J. made BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Wraps, and that inspired a whole new meal that I share in my December Meal Plan as well. Ok so back to the mushrooms. I originally made them with just bread crumbs on the top, but then I thought, as I was topping my practice Green Bean Casserole, why not use these on my mushrooms! Red Robin (I think) makes a burger that has bacon, bbq sauce and onion straws on it, and onion straws are basically french fried onions, so I decided to top the Friendsgiving version with the onions… it was a smart move!
BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 lb baby portabella mushrooms 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/8 cup french fried onion crumbs 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Step 2 Start by preparing mushrooms by removing the stems.
- Step 3 With a small spoon, or a grapefruit spoon, carefully remove the insides of the mushroom.
- Step 4 Finely mince 1/4 cup of mushroom stems, and set aside.
- Step 5 In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and heat until shimmering.
- Step 6 Add ground beef and cook, breaking up into small pieces until no longer pink. Remove ground beef from pan and add onions, garlic and mushroom stems.
- Step 7 Cook until softened – about 10 minutes.
- Step 8 Add ground beef back to pan and cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool a little – about 10 minutes.
- Step 9 Stir in cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Step 10 Place mushroom caps on a parchment lined baking sheet. Fill each mushroom with about 2 tbsp of filling.
- Step 11 Top with 1 tsp BBQ sauce and some french fried onions.
- Step 12 Bake for 15-20 minutes, unGl the mushroom caps are fork tender.
- Step 13 Remove from heat, let cool 5 minutes and serve with extra BBQ sauce.
This recipe is super easy to make and everyone will love it!