So I’ve messed up my days a little bit this month… Oops! But, I am up to date on my facts, and all the amazing work that the Food Bank does, and the services that they provide our communities. It is day 13 of 30 Facts in 30 Days. I can’t believe that the month is already half over.
The Food Bank released an e-mail today with all of the incredible work and generous support of the staff at the Food Bank and all of the volunteers from the 24 Hour Telethon with Gregory Ng of Freezer Burns. The numbers speak for them selves with the amount of support this community has:
Over $20,000 contributed
Over 12,000 pounds of sweet potatoes sorted by volunteers
Over 3,000 pounds of food collected
Remembering that every dollar equals $10 or 5 meals, this means that with all of the contributions, over 100,000 meals can be provided to families in need. AMAZING.
I am just so in love with the Food Bank. They have inspired me to want to do more, and that has been to start my own fundraising campaign for Hunger Awareness Month – I will have this together by the end of the week!
Gregory Ng, and his wonderful producer Mike Adams created a YouTube video of a time lapse of the telethon. View it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlrVJRv7SPM&feature=youtu.be
The Food Bank’s 19,000 square mile service territory is roughly the size of Switzerland!
I copied and pasted this from the Food Banks website about the counties served by each branch…
Counties are served by the following Food Bank branch locations:
- Durham Branch: Chatham, Durham, Granville, Orange, Person and Vance.
- Greenville Branch: Carteret, Craven, Greene, Jones, Lenior, Onslow, Pamlico and Pitt counties. Edgecombe and Wilson are shared with our Raleigh Branch. Carteret, Craven, Jones, Lenior, Onslow, and Pamlico are shared with our New Bern Branch.
- New Bern Branch: Carteret, Craven, Jones, Onslow, and Pamlico.
- Raleigh Branch: Duplin, Franklin, Halifax, Harnett, Johnston, Nash, Sampson, Wake, Warren, and Wayne. Edgecombe and Wilson are shared with the Greenville Branch. Lee is shared with the Sandhills branch.
- Sandhills Branch: Moore, Richmond and Scotland counties. Lee is shared with the Raleigh branch.
- Wilmington Branch: Brunswick, Columbus, New Hanover and Pender.
30 Facts in 30 Days Revisited
For every dollar donated, the Food Bank can distribute $10 worth of food or 5 meals
The Food Bank is a first-responder in the time of a natural disaster.
The Food Bank provided nearly 840,000 lbs of disaster relief product after hurricane Irene last year!
The Food Bank serves 34 counties in central & eastern North Carolina through six warehouses!
The Wilmington branch is celebrating their 10th anniversary this fiscal year!
Currently, 900 partner agencies receive food from the Food Bank
In the 2011-2012 fiscal year, the Food Bank distributed 11.7 million pounds of fresh produce.
Four Food Bank branches, Durham, New Bern, Sandhills, Wilmington, had record distribution in 2011-2012.
97 cents of every dollar donated to the Food Bank goes directly to food and food related programs.
In 2011, volunteers logged 157,000 hours, equivalent to 70+ full time employees.
In 2011-2012, the Food Bank distributed a record 45 million pounds of food.
Be a hunger hero in your community today!